Sunday, October 16, 2016

Dylan's Nobel

I know Dylan is The Seer to many.  Not just...guys.  I caught the early, nasal years.  Some things struck me: 20 years of school and they put you on the day shift; William Zanzinger.  But who was he imagining when he warned:

"Go away from my window.
Leave at you own chosen speed.
I'm not the one you want, babe.
I'm not the one you need.

"You say you're looking for someone
 Who's never weak, and always strong.
Someone to defend you and protect you
Whether you are right or wrong,
Someone to open each and every door...

"Well it ain't me babe!"

Geez, I hope not.  In any case, I didn't linger.

I marvel at Joni Mitchell lyrics, rhythms (dug up the records - yes, records!  after a recent move):

"Just before our love got lost
You said 'I am as constant as the Northern Star,'
I said
'Constant in the darkness, where's that at?
If you want me I'll be in the barn..."

Sippie Wallace via Bonnie Raitt ("Give It Up or Let Me Go"), Randy Newman ("Rednecks," "Sail Away...").  Plenty more.  Well, congrats to Bob and fans.

There's a class on Dylan at Harvard.  Where, in doubtless unrelated news, the food service workers are on strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment